Earlier this week, we shared a checklist that growing businesses can use to avoid common implementation pitfalls when they first automate their sales compensation plans with commissions software. We’re not ones to leave anyone out, so we’ve also compiled implementation best practices for the enterprise. Consider these your five steps to smooth sailing.
- Specify goals for success. Start with a detailed plan of action before implementation. Include deadlines and milestones to track and maintain the upswing of progress. Make sure adoption goals are realistic, can be achieved in a short amount of time, and aren’t too complicated.
- Check the numbers. Fix any errors in your sales compensation plan before you automate. If you don’t, existing problems will only multiply faster.
- Crowd-source strong leadership. If you elect good leaders to spearhead implementation, you’ll stay on track and meet deadlines. You also want to encourage collaboration. Input and buy-in from your sales force drives efficiency during an implementation and high adoption afterwards. When reps are happy, they’ll use the system, especially if your commissions software is intuitive and easy to use.
- Train thoughtfully. Properly preparing your sales force goes a long way. Assemble a killer communications team that evangelizes upcoming changes and benefits of your new commissions software in a clear and transparent way. When solutions are easy to use, training can be as simple as an extra 30-minute presentation after your regular sales meeting.
- Create collaborative competition. To motivate adoption, you might offer prizes and contests early on to build enthusiasm from the get-go. The more public and real-time the results, the better.