Compensation is one of the most strategic functions of any sales organization. Unfortunately, commissions and Sales Performance Management (SPM) practices in general are often treated as a side project and do not receive the attention they deserve. As a result, sales activities are misaligned with executive and corporate objectives, distrust brews between sales and finance, productive employees churn, and revenue targets are missed.
Fortunately, we covered straightforward and effective steps you can take to avoid this fate our our webinar, My Journey to Comp Expert.
In the webinar, Phil Chowaniec shared his journey to becoming Looker Commissions Manager and discussed:
- His unorthodox path to owning commissions at Looker
- What interested him in compensation initially and what drives him now
- Successful strategies and tactics for overcoming obstacles and achieving results
- Using SPM data and analytics to inform decision-making across planning, execution, and attainment
- Accelerating growth and building your career through strategic compensation practices
Phil’s Compensation Mission
Looker started out as an Xactly Express customer in 2015, later migrating to Incent in order to keep up with accelerated growth. Using advanced SPM solutions and analytics, Phil has been able to scale compensation to their fast-growing sales team, improving top- and bottom-line revenues as well as reducing costs through more efficient resource allocation.
Phil has been particularly interested in building an accurate, equitable, competitive, and transparent compensation program to improve organizational performance and trust between sales and finance. A mission that has led to:
- Reps spending more time generating business because payments are accurate and on-time
- Finance and operations spending less time answering questions and more time driving growth and optimizing spend
- Increased sales performance and rep alignment with corporate strategies
View the webinar on demand here.
Phil has been with Looker for the past four years, the last two of which have been spent leading commissions as a member of the sales operations team. When he first dipped his toes into the commissions process, there was no true owner or direction. Phil dove in head first. Intrigued and motivated by the opportunities to improve upon existing processes, this quickly became his core focus and turned into a new, full-time position. When he’s not occupied by thoughts of impactful compensation, you can find Phil surfing, paddleboarding, or checking out the many breweries and restaurants his city of Santa Cruz, California has to offer. Learn more about Phil.
Looker is a complete data platform that offers data analytics and business insights to every department, and easily integrates into applications to deliver data directly into the decision-making process. The company is powering data-driven cultures at more than 1200 industry-leading and innovative companies such as Sony, Amazon, The Economist, Spotify, Etsy, Lyft and Kickstarter. The company is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California, with offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boulder, London and Dublin, Ireland.