As I ponder our latest blog post series, “Female Executives in the Workplace” I feel proud to be part of an organization that provides women with equal career opportunities. I loved the advice Xactly VP of HR, Leanne Bernhardt, shared about, “taking a seat at the table” advice they don’t always teach you in school. And former Xactly Chief Marketing Officer Micheline Nijmeh’s recommendation to get out there and try new things is great because no one is going to care about your career more than you—so you might as well go for it.
In the spirit of sharing advice on women in the workplace, I thought I’d take a twenty-something approach. Twenty-somethings are my jam, heck, I wrote an entire book about it called YOUR TWENTIES.
Why? Because no one ever teaches you how to grow up, you know? The book is quirky, fun, and full of advice. It doesn't add MORE to your plate (we’ve got enough going on), and I’ve organized it into the five major areas of life:
- HEALTHY MIND
- BODY ACCEPTANCE
These, I believe, are the areas in which we experience the most change during this roller coaster of a decade we call our twenties. In each micro chapter, I share tips n tricks to navigate life’s ups and downs with ease, grace, and a whole lot of fun. Let’s dive into the CAREER section, shall we? There are three chapters on the topic of careers in YOUR TWENTIES:
- Take the fast lane. How to accelerate your career, take ownership and be your best cheerleader. Sounds a bit like Micheline’s advice, right?
- Build a Rockstar Brand. How to help yourself stand out and build a strong personal brand so you can be seen in the workplace. That way, when that next promotion comes up, you’re the first one they think of
- Find “The One.” This section is all about how to incorporate what you love into your work—without getting obsessed over finding the perfect job. The perfect job isn't necessarily turning your passion into a paycheck but can mean finding work that enhances your natural skills and talents
Build a Rockstar Brand
Today, I’d like to zoom in on the chapter all about building a rockstar brand. This part is directly from my book so you can get an idea of what you’re getting yourself in for. In today’s loud world it’s important to find ways to stand out against all the noise. Your personal brand is a mixture of who you are, how you do what you do, and what you care about. If you need somewhere to start, here are some questions to ask yourself that can help you identify your personal brand. Your Skills
- What are you really, I mean reeeeally, good at—so good that other people come to you for help with this specific thing? (In other words, what are you known for?)
- If you asked the person who knows you better than anyone else what your three BEST qualities are, what would they say?
- When you’re doing your best work, what does it look like?
- Feel like?
- When you’re in the zone, how do you act?
- When faced with a problem, what’s your go-to way of responding?
- How do you approach challenging situations? What’s the first plan of action you take?
- How do you connect and communicate with others?
- What’s it like to work with you? Try to imagine yourself from another coworker’s point of view and describe the experience of what it’s like to work with you.
Your personal brand isn’t necessarily something you build outside of yourself as much as it is something you uncover about yourself. The how’s and why’s of what you do and getting to know your authentic interests, values, and natural talents is what truly makes up your brand. So what do you think? I encourage you to set some time aside to answer these questions for yourself. To get the rest of my career advice, grab a copy of my book on Amazon, here. Once you buy it be sure to let me know on Instagram @coachjessness.
You’re Invited | Join the YOUR TWENTIES book club
An ongoing book club for twenty-somethings and beyond. Join whenever and share whatever is on your mind, heart, & soul. This is a safe place to be true to the unique you that is truly you. Here’s how the book club works:
- You have until the first WED of APR to buy the book and read the first section | SELF LOVE.
- On the 1st WED OF APR, 4/4 • We will have a digital chat in a private Facebook group I host called, the Wellness Squad.
- On the 1st THURS OF APR, 4/5 • We will have Zoom video call with discussion questions & share what came up for us during the SELF LOVE section.
- Each month we will review one of the five sections in the book
You in? Sign up for the book club here.